Sejayno Show @ Digital Cezanne
Sejayno is a group of three: Instrument Maker Peter Blasser (Baltimore), Troubadour/Guitarist Carson Garhart (Baltimore), and Performance Poet Severiano Martinez (Oakland, CA). We are inspired by Cezanne’s ability to circumvent the materialist eye and depict objects directly to the mind’s eye. This project will enable us to channel cultural mis-understandings, hallucination, and steganographics (hidden messages in writing) into sound, culminating in a panel-discussion about the work itself.
∑ To explain how we relate to Cezanne in a 40-minute multimedia show. We will use PowerPoint, new cybernetic instruments, hypothetical ethnomusicology, as well as traditional musical instruments to explain several core concepts as follows:
∑ To demonstrate Cezanne’s relation to post-modernism via meta-vision, ambiguity.
∑ To revisit the 19th century aesthetic of mis-appropriation, vis-à-vis the composer Debussy’s interpretation of “The Orient” at the 1889 Paris World’s Fair.
∑ To channel Rudolph Steiner’s technique of Reverse Time Marketing, or the presentation of a media-related idea intuitively. Sejayno are avant-garde / forerunners of culture production anonymously ahead of time. This can also be referred to as spontaneous advertising.
(we hold the gold): Peter and Carson’s plane tickets to Oakland, for production sessions in December
(we hold the gold) : Seve’s plane ticket from Oakland for the event
(we hold the gold): Performance fee
(we hold the gold): Total
∑ 01/30/2005- CEAIT festival, Redcat Auditorium, Los Angeles, “Intuitive Electronics (not)”
∑ 03/03/2008 -Theosophical Society, Baltimore, “Psycho-Spiritual Tunings on Qin and Tar”
∑ 07/10/2009- Whartscape, Baltimore, “Video Conference from Silicon Tehran”
∑ 08/10/2009- Sommerkamp Workstation, Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin, “Deerhorn”
∑ 08/24/2009- Moltkerei Werkstatt, Cologne, “Reverse Time Marketing”
∑ 10/16/2009- Harvestworks, New York City, “Ciat-Lonbarde Enneagraphic Business Plan”
Work Samples Online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFd9tTt0MC8 (Mazdaznan, a piece for El Jazeera)
http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/harvestworksspiel.ppt (presentation on instrument design)
https://sejayno.wordpress.com/ (Sejayno’s collected cultural texts and memes)
Discography embedded on Demo CD
1) Alien Eyes / Scion, Reverse Time Marketing commercial for car company
2) Symposium, from Sejayno : Quantus on EHSE records, 2008
3) Mark Steiner Theme, a whole-tone composition with variations in hypothetical ethnomusicology, with poetry by Rudolph Steiner (work in progress)
4) Civil War Boys, from Sejayno : Laity on Megaphone records, 2007
5) DONNING THE Diving BELL, DESCEND THRU BUBLS PAST BUOY BALL and FREAKED OUT SCUBA HEAD, CALL THRU THE LEATHER TUBE and NOONE IS LEFT on the BOAT, AS YOU SINK and SETTLE IN THE SILT WHERE THE SUBMARINES BELLOW, from Sejayno : Sedainty on Heresee records, 2006
6) Dastgah E-Segah, computer music based on Iranian music theory (work in progress)
7) King’s Court, a video performance for conch/theremin orchestra, metaphysical jester, and duke.
Sejayno Show @ Digital Cezanne